I found this recipe at one of my favorite recipe spots online. The only change I made was to make them using ground turkey vs. ground sirloin. I was surprised at how high the fat count still was, but if you are craving a burger, this is definitely a much lower fat version with lots of flavor. I was only able to eat half so the fat count works just fine for me and other bariatric eaters.
• 2 lbs. ground turkey
• 1 medium red onion chopped
• ½ (1 oz) Packet of Ranch Dressing Mix
• 4 oz. Bleu Cheese
1. You can either make these in the oven or on the grill. If making in the oven, preheat it to 350. If on the grill, preheat grill to medium-high heat and lightly oil it.
2. Mix together all the ingredients and form into 8 patties.
3. If cooking in the oven, placed on aluminum foil-lined cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes or until the middle is no longer pink. If cooking on the grill, cook about 5 minutes on each side until done.
I haven’t had a chance to make these on the grill yet, but I just made some in the oven and they are SO good! The onion cooked just enough to begin to soften, but still has a light crunch that adds an interesting texture and all the flavors work really well together. They are incredibly juicy too! I bet they would be even better grilled!
Notes for Bariatric Eaters: I was only able to eat about half of one of the patties. The nutritional information below is for an entire patty.
Nutritional Information: 253 calories, 2 carbs, 15g fat, 26g protein