Easy, Yummy and low carb. If you want to reduce the carb count, reduce the amount of chili's you use by half. I've made it both ways and it tastes fine either way.
Ingredients for Chili Relleno Casserole:
1 onion chopped
evoo 1 tblsp
1/2 lb ground turkey
1/2 lb ground beef
4 (7 ounce) cans whole green chile peppers, drained
8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
8 ounces Longhorn or Cheddar cheese, shredded
4 eggs, beaten
1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (14 ounce) can enchilada sauce
2-4 cloves of garlic minced
salt and pepper to taste
Directions for Chili Relleno Casserole:
. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Heat a pan with your tblsp of EVOO and add your chopped onion. Cook until just beginning to brown a bit (the browning will add flavor but you don't want your onion ALL browned.
3. Add your meat and brown meat. Add your garlic and cook a minute or so longer and set aside.
4. Get your pan and lay 12 oz of the chilies across the bottom of the pan. (make sure to spray it with a nonstick spray first). Add half your meat/onion mixture, sprinkle with half of the Jack and Cheddar cheeses, and cover with remaining chilies. Repeat with meat and cheese.
5. In a bowl, mix together the eggs, milk, and flour, and pour over the top of the chilies.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, pour enchilada sauce evenly over the top, and continue baking another 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining Jack and Cheddar cheeses and broil for a few minutes (if desired, you can also just add the cheese without broiling), and serve.
Number of Servings: 12
Complete Nutritional Information for this recipe can be found here
Ingredients for Mock Mexican Rice:
-1/2 head medium cauliflower
-one large onion chopped
-half red bell pepper, chopped
-half yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
-2 tblsp minced garlic (we like garlic, but you can reduce this if you don't)
-1 14 oz can stewed tomatoes mexican recipe
-1 tblsp EVOO
-2 tblsp Fiesta Spanish Rice Seasoning
Directions for Mock Mexican Rice:
. Using the largest set of holes on your grater, grate the cauliflower and set aside.
2. Heat EVOO in pan on med high heat and add onions and bell peppers. When they are softened and browned slightly, add the garlic and stir allowing to cook another minute or so.
3. Add the cauliflower and stir to coat with mixture in the pan.
4. Add tomatoes and some of the liquid. I crush the tomatoes in my hand as I add them to the pan rather than try to chop them up (much faster). add just enough liquid to moisten the mixture and help the cauliflower cook. You don't want to water it down too much.
5. Stir in the spanish rice seasoning and cook until cauliflower is soft, but still somewhat firm as you don't want it to turn to mush.
Number of Servings: 8
Full Nutritional Information for this recipe can be found here
NOTE: one serving of the casserole actually lasts about three meals for me so if you've had any kind of bariatric surgery, you will want to figure your nutritional info based on how much of the one serving you ate. When I add a dollop of the mexican "rice" I could only eat about a third of one serving of the casserole.